Monday, December 22, 2008

Making the Past the Present...

Ok I wanted to give a little history of our infertility journey. Michael and I saw a urologist in May and found out that his count was low and referred us to a Reproductive Endocrinologist (RE for short). We immediately made an appointment as soon as we found out. Our initial appointment was scheduled for July 24. When we got there we didn't have to wait for the nurse to call us to the back. As we walk down the halls we are engulfed by the hundreds of baby photos that line the wall. I was met by a flood of emotions; I didn't know whether to cry with envy or hope. The room, which I expected to see a cold paper covered exam table with stirrups, had a beautiful round wood table with elegant high backed chairs. We gave the nurse our preliminary information and waited only moments before we met Dr. Storment, he was very nice and professional. He walked us through some of the routine test that would be run and the possible outcome solution scenarios. Because I am just like a 5 year old waiting for Christmas to come, I had already had most of the tests done. We went over Michael's semen analysis. The urologist who first read us the test results made them out to be hopeless; Dr. Storment however, led us to believe that the test looked very promising. We had a few preliminary tests done at the hospital to make sure that my fallopian tubes were not block. Everything checked out fine and we were able to move forward with an IUI -- intrauterine insemination. This is performed by threading a very thin flexible catheter through the cervix and injecting washed (live, motile) sperm directly into the uterus. The best part of the IUI is the price. It is only around $2000 total.

We had our one and only IUI done on September 21, 2008. The procedure was virtually painless, more uncomfortable than anything. The worst part was the two week wait (2ww). It was cruel and unusual punishment. And at the end we were severely disappointed with a BFN (big fat negative). The pain was intense and severe and somehow Michael got me through! However, I decided that I wanted to go straight to InVitro Fertilization (IVF) - It is when they retrieve my mature eggs and fertilize them with Michael's sperm in a lab and then transfer the developed embryo straight in to my uterus so that all it will have to do in implant. Just do the biggest and baddest in hopes for a BFP (big fat positive)!

We started all of the preliminary test for IVF, blood tests and a mock transfer all fun and enjoyable. All I know now is that I do not have HIV or Hep C!! I started taking BCP's (Birth Control Pills) to suppress my ovaries on October 9. When I went back in to the doctor to start Lupron they found a 32mm active cyst!! They started the Lupron so that it would reduce the cyst. I went back on Halloween and they said that the cyst was still there and that on top of that the Lupron made it worse. I actually ovulated while taking BCP and Lupron (suppressant!) They said that because of this they would have to cancel my cycle. Talk about a blow to the heart!! I was miserable for several weeks! Thank God that I have such wonderful friends and family or I don't think that I would have made it, it was a rough few weeks!!.

They put me on a new BC - the Nuva Ring on November 6, and had me come back in after a month and (drum roll please)... the cyst was gone!!! December 4 I put in a new Nuva Ring and I am currently waiting until my next cycle in a few days and we will start over in January with a new Antagonist (they don't use Lupron) IVF protocol.

Hopefully be the end of January I will be Pregnant!!!

No comments: